This is my third article about coding guidelines. In this article I wanted to give you some general guidelines for HTML coding that will help to improve readability, maintainability and code reuse. It will reduce browser related problem. Following are some guidelines:
- Must be use doctype in your web page.
- Everyone should be write well-formed HTML code.
- Indent HTML code constantly
- Use small letter constantly. It will increase readability.
- ID should be unique in a page and pick a meaningful name for this. Should be follow a standard constantly. Can use underscore (_) to separate meaningful words.
- Name tag can follow a same standard like ID. It will be easier to read.
- Should be use ID for dynamic element.
- Avoid inline CSS. Use separate file for CSS stylesheet.
- Avoid longer line. Break the line when a statement will not fit on a single line.
- Use commenting as less as possible but use sensibly.
- All nested attributes must be properly nested.
- Attributes must be quoted.
- Validate HTML code using W3C validation service at – http://validator.w3.org
Some related posts: