Once, you deactivate your account, your profile and information will be instantly inactivated. But, information will not be lost however, and will be available to recover whenever you want within 14 days.
Steps are given below to deactivate the Facebook account:
- Go to Account menu on top right corner of the page and select Account Settings.
- Click to Security from right side menu
- Click to Deactivate your account link from bottom
- And, then select reason and click to Confirm button
- System will open a pop-up box for your password and captcha text. Enter those and click on the confirm button.
After confirmation system will redirect to Facebook's home page, where you will see a message confirming that your account has been deactivated.
To cancel deactivation, log-in again and choose cancel deactivation within 14 days.